
Yep, the bit to watch is “we’ll move you to tomorrow.” Does that mean a confirmed seat at your original price, or just that they’ll look for one? Big difference 😅
There isn’t one cancellation deal that every company follows. Before paying, WhatsApp whoever is taking your money and ask what happens if THEY cancel for weather: can you choose a refund, can they move you at the same price, and what happens if the next morning is full? Get that answer in writing. A refund plus a fresh booking doesn’t automatically protect your original price.
If tomorrow’s full, being on a waiting list isn’t a booking. Don’t rearrange your whole trip around “probably.” I’d book for the first available morning of the stay and leave another morning free if possible, but that gives you another chance—not a guaranteed flight.
Personally, I’d lean towards booking directly with the actual balloon operator because it removes one layer of back-and-forth. A hotel booking can still work fine, though. Just make sure you know who takes payment, who issues the confirmation and who handles the refund. If the hotel collects the money, ask whether its own booking fee is also returned after a weather cancellation. “Full refund” needs to mean the whole amount you paid, not just the operator’s portion.
Refunds aren’t necessarily quick. Butterfly Balloons, for example, publishes a full refund for weather cancellations, but its terms say the money can take 15–30 working days to reach your account depending on your bank. That’s their published policy, not a recent refund I personally received. Ask your seller when they initiate the refund and when you should expect it to land. Keep the cancellation message and refund confirmation.
For licensing, ask for the actual flying company’s legal name and SHGM operating licence number. SHGM is Turkey’s civil aviation authority; its website has a “Balon İşletmeleri” section for balloon operators. Check the legal name rather than just the pretty booking-site brand, and check the date on any downloaded list. If the information looks old or the names don’t match, confirm with SHGM before paying.
Also get the flight area confirmed. “Cappadocia balloon flight” alone doesn’t tell you which area you’re booking. If they offer another operator or location after cancellation, check the new details before accepting.
And honestly, a weather cancellation is the safety decision you want them to make. The part that deserves scrutiny is the money and rebooking process—not whether someone can promise to fly regardless.